My favorite grain is farro, so I made a meal including it! I love this well-balanced medley, and it is my go-to dinner!
This meal is vegan and kosher.
This meal contains wheat-like grains (gluten) and soy.
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 12-30 Minutes
1/4 cup (60 ml) farro
6 oz (170 g) extra firm tofu
1 1/3 cup (315 ml) mixed vegetables
1/2 cup (120 ml) of any bean (I prefer black lentils)
1/4 cup (60 ml) of any bean (I use chickpeas)
1/4 (1.5 grams) teaspoon of smoked paprika
1/4 (1.5 grams) teaspoon turmeric (for color)
1/4 (1.5 grams) teaspoon of onion powder
1/2 (3 grams) teaspoon of dried parsley
1/2 (3 grams) teaspoon of garlic powder
Black pepper to taste
Instructions (pressure cooker):
- Rinse the farro
- Put the farro into the pressure cooker pot
- Put 3/4 cup (175 ml) water into the pot
- Cube the tofu and put it in the pot
- Add the mixed vegetables
- Put the beans into the pot
- Season with desired seasonings
- Set to high pressure and cook for 12 minutes, and quick release the pressure when complete
- Bring 2 cups (480 ml) of water to boil
- Add 1/4 (60 ml) cup of rinsed farro, and return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high, and boil uncovered until soft (usually 30 minutes)
- While the farro is cooking, prepare and heat the other ingredients and add the seasonings
- Drain off cooking water
- Mix the other ingredients with the farro and serve
Once served, you can add a topping to the meal. (Nutritional yeast is great on this recipe)
Calories: 600 (2510 Kilojoules), Total Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 55 mg, Total Carbohydrate: 87g, Dietary Fiber: 22g, Total Sugar 10g, Added Sugars: 0g, Protein 36g, Calcium: 351mg (27%), Iron: 9.2mg (51%), Potassium 1,029 mg (21.9%)