Better (For You) Banana Bread
This delicious banana bread is not only tasty but also good for you! It is vegan and can be made without sugar. You can even bake it into muffins.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1 Hour
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup unsweetened nondairy milk (I use almond milk)
- ½ cup brown sugar substitute (affiliate link)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (or 2 cups all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Sliced bananas, for topping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray, then line it with a strip of parchment paper.
- Mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the brown sugar, vanilla, and almond milk.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and stir until combined. Do not over-mix, or the banana bread can become too dense!
- Transfer the batter (see cooking tip).
- Bake it for about 45 minutes, then cover it with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes longer, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a couple of crumbs.
Top with extra banana slices, if desired. Alternatively, you could make 12 regular-sized muffins. If you choose to go that route, bake for 17-20 minutes.
Nutrition Information (With Eight Slices and Whole Wheat Flour):
Calories: 140 (586 Kilojoules), Total Fat: 0.5 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 225 mg, Total Carbohydrate: 28 g, Dietary Fiber: 8 g, Total Sugar 9 g, Added Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 8 g, Vitamin A: 0.3%, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: 5.8%, Iron: 2.3%, Potassium: 132mg