Are you looking for a flavorful and satisfying vegan and gluten-free meal? Look no further than this delicious lentil Dahl recipe! Packed with protein and fiber, this dish is not only delicious but also nutritious. The combination of spices like turmeric, coriander, and cumin, along with coconut milk and tomatoes, create a rich sauce that perfectly complements the lentils. With a preparation time of only 10 minutes and a cooking time of 25 minutes, this recipe is quick and easy to make.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil or other neutral oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped onions
- 4 minced garlic cloves (or 2 teaspoons garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 2/3 cup (300 g) dry red lentils
- 3 1/4 cups (780 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup (240 ml) coconut milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) strained tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A handful of spinach and diced carrots (optional)
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for another minute.
- Add the spices.
- Put the lentils in a strainer and rinse them under cold running water.
- Add them to the onion mixture.
- Add the vegetable broth, stir, and bring to a simmer.
- Cook covered for 8-10 minutes or until the lentils have absorbed most of the liquid.
- Add the coconut milk and tomatoes (optional) and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Finish seasoning with salt, pepper, cilantro, and lime juice to taste.
- If the sauce is too thick, add more vegetable broth or coconut milk.
- To make the Dahl extra creamy, blend half of the cooked lentils and broth with an immersion blender until smooth then stir in the remaining lentils.
Calories: 381 (1595 Kilojoules), Total Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 260mg, Total Carbohydrate: 43g, Dietary Fiber: 18g, Total Sugar: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g, Protein: 18g, Vitamin A: 82%, Vitamin C: 26%, Calcium: 7%, Iron: 41%, Potassium: 908mg