In this article, I will share a fibre-packed (23 grams – almost your entire recommended daily intake) recipe with you that I love to make for lunch. It has many flavours, from the tofu, the pinto beans, the chickpeas, and of course the spices! This meal is full of complete protein, vegetables, and legumes, all super tasty and healthy. Check out this article on why complete protein is essential for your health, especially as a teenager.
Cooking Time: 10-15 Minutes
Feel free to cut this recipe in half, as it does make quite a lot of food.
6 oz (170 grams) firm or extra firm pressed tofu
3/4 cup garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1/2 cup pinto beans
1 1/3 cup mixed vegetables
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (affiliate link)
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Chop the tofu into 1/2 inch (1 1/4 cm) cubes and cook it in a non-stick pan on medium heat while preparing other ingredients.
- Put frozen or fresh mixed vegetables into a small pan. Fill the pan with water and cook the vegetables on high heat until boiling. Boil for longer based on the size.
- Put the garbanzo beans and pinto beans into the tofu pan. Feel free to use fewer beans if you would like.
- After the vegetables have boiled to your liking, use your preferred method to remove the water. Add the vegetables to the other pan.
- Add all the seasonings from the ingredients list and any others you like. Almost every combination of herbs and spices I have tried works well with this dish.
Calories: 580, Total Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 75 mg, Total Carbohydrate: 77g, Dietary Fiber: 23g, Total Sugar 15g, Added Sugars: 0g, Protein 41g, Calcium: 377mg (29%), Iron: 9.8mg (54.7%), Potassium 1455mg (31%)